Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Upholstery Selvage Rugs - Complete!


36" x 54"
36" x 54"
36" x 50"
36" x 50"
Untitled
36" x 50"
36" x 56"
36" x 56"
36" x 53"
36" x 53"
36" x 57"
36" x 57"
36" x 56"
36" x 56"
36" x 54"
36" x 54"
36" x 59"
36" x 59"
36" x 52"
36" x 52"

The Kessenich Loom was warped with 30 yards of 8/4 carpet warp - 10 EPI - 38” wide back in April.  Here's the link to that posting on my blog that showed what they looked like as just selvedges, and once the rugs were woven and off of the loom.  They were then set aside to be hemmed as time permitted throughout this summer.  And now they are complete!

A temple was used throughout.

These selvedges were purchased from Great Northern Weaving in Kalamazoo MI.  They are   super linty and dusty,  having to sweep and vacuum after each rug woven just to keep the  mess down.  

I will never buy these again due to the mess it makes in the area where they are woven.  Plus after weaving 10 of these - I think I've had the "selvedge experience".

Woven, came off the loom measuring approximately 37" x 58" give or take with each rug (which does not include tabby for the hemmed edge).  finished sizes are listed with each rug and they weigh in at 5#'s or a bit more.

Thoughts on 8-7-12:
I have to be honest, as I was hemming these the last 2 days the dust and lint here on the tables and floor surrounding me here in the living room was unbelievable!  After hemming 2 more today, I couldn't stand it any longer.  I took each one to the Studio and gave each ones sides a trim to even up the selvedge lengths *(think: your mother trimming your bangs)* and then threw each one in the dryer, one at a time to try to eliminate some of the lint and dust.  I swear - I pulled a large bunny out of the lint trap with each rug!  


Final thought on 8-8-2012:  

I never in my entire life, even if this was the only weft left on earth to weave with, use upholstry selvedges again!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful rugs! Thanks for sharing these beautiful pics. But I am always worried about carpet and rug cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rugs are very nice. I agree selvages are the pits to work with, dirty, dusty, thready, etc. but they do make pretty nice rugs. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete